Music continued to make my world go round in 2013. Here are my favorite tracks of the year, which my awesome employer, Substantial, published as well (opens in a new window):
- James Blake – Life Round Here
- Fat Freddy’s Drop – Blackbird
- Latyrx – It’s Time (feat. Zion-I)
- Childish Gambino – IV. Sweatpants
- RJD2 – Temperamental (feat. Phonte Coleman)
- Pharrell Williams – Happy
- Holy Ghost! – Dance a Little Closer
- Pezzner – Birdsong
- Lusine – Lucky
- Flume – Warm Thoughts
- Party Supplies – Beautiful Girl
- Machinedrum – Center Your Love
- Technimatic – The Evening Loop
- SpectraSoul – Hearts
- Nu:Logic – We Live There (feat. DRS)
- Lung – Crystal Ball Gazing
- Djrum – Thank You
TOP 10 ALBUMS
- Nu:Logic – What I’ve Always Waited For (opens in a new window)
- Machinedrum – Vapor City (opens in a new window)
- Lung – Wait Less Suspense (opens in a new window)
- Classixx – Hanging Gardens (opens in a new window)
- Quadron – Avalanche (opens in a new window)
- Djrum – Seven Lies (opens in a new window)
- Nine Inch Nails – Hesitation Marks (opens in a new window)
- Toro Y Moi – Anything in Return (opens in a new window)
- Lusine – The Waiting Room (opens in a new window)
- Childish Gambino – Because the Internet (opens in a new window)
I also had a few longer mixes on repeat:
I learned of PillowTalk after their show at the Decibel Festival. I’m bummed to have missed it, but on the bright side I’m overjoyed to have learned about them–and I loved this podcast!
As a longtime fan of Nu:Tone, Logistics and Hospital Records, the new release from Nu:Logic was bound to be a slam dunk. This mix includes some dance-floor bangers that have had me dancing around town for months.
Favorite new artist of 2013? DEVolution provides the perfect blend of dancy bass, kick drum and attitude that puts me in frolicky spirits. Everything I hear from Black Butter Records sounds fantastic–I’m excited to hear more.
I also heard about Kidnap Kid through Black Butter Records’ Soundcloud page (opens in a new window). A similar dancy vibe to DEVolution, everything from Kidnap Kid puts my feet on an instant dance floor.
We saw Tensnake play at Q Nightclub in Seattle in 2013 and I’ve loved finding his mixes ever since. This one is a delight!
Cajmere/Green Velvet was a highlight at Decibel Festival…this tribute mix by The 2 Bears is a little campy with the vocal samples & horns, I love it!